Lentils are packed with iron, a sufficient intake of which researchers have proven can help reduce issues of ovulatory infertility, so this is an excellent choice while you’re trying to conceive. They’re also a one-stop-shop for folate, hugely important for fetal development once pregnant. A perfect fertility recipe!
Enjoy this lentils and kale spiced with rice
- 1 cup green lentils (any color will work)
- 3/4 cup black rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups baby kale (any greens will work here)
- 4 cups of water
- Soak lentils in water. It does not have to be for long, just pour water over the cup of lentils right before starting to make this dish and let sit until time ready to use.
- Saute onion in oil on low heat until translucent and golden. Add garlic and saute for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Add spices and black rice and cook another minute.
- While letting the dry rice and spices cook, drain lentils and and add to the pan.
- Pour 4 cups of water in and turn heat up to high. Sir up in bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Once it comes to a boil, turn head down to low and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add greens and cook covered for another 5 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed. Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaves, and serve warm.
Image and lentils and kale recipe reprinted with permission from www.margaretsdish.blogspot.com and www.healthyaperture.com