Many women choose to use birth control in the weeks and months after giving birth. If you choose to, your HAP Empowered plan may pay for it.
Why might one use birth control?
Studies show that getting pregnant again within one year puts you at an increased risk of placental problems, low birth weight, preterm birth, and autism in the second child born. Many experts believe that getting pregnant again too soon after the first doesn’t give your body enough time to rest.
How do I choose the right birth control?
There isn’t one method of birth control that’s right for everyone. Each type of birth control has pros and cons, so you should choose the method that you’re most comfortable with. Here are some things to think about when choosing a birth control method:
- Do you want to have more children? How soon?
- Are you in good health?
- How often do you have sex?
- How many sexual partners do you have?
- Does the method protect against HIV and other STDs?
- How well does the method work?
- Are there any side effects?
- Will you be able to use it correctly every time?
- Will you be annoyed by its day-to-day use, like taking a pill every day?
HAP Empowered covers a wide array of birth control methods at no cost to you. This includes FDA-approved birth control methods like ‘the pill,’ and IUDs.
To learn more about your benefits, you can contact your HAP Empowered plan by calling (888) 654-2200 (TTY: 711).
You can also tap the button below to visit HAP Empowered’s website.