This soup takes a bit of simple prep – you’ll need to soak the almonds and cashews overnight – but this creamy, pureed carrot soup is fragrant, flavorful, and totally worth it. And not only are the carrots excellent for your vision, but all the vitamin A is also great for your fertility health and healthy eggs.
Try the curried carrot soup with your friends
- 2 large/3 medium orange carrots – cut into large chunks
- 1 medium potato – cut into large chunks
- 1 medium sized onion – thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups vegetable broth/water
- 1 inch ginger (optional) – minced
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 medium green chili -thinly sliced
- 10-15 whole almonds
- 10-15 whole cashews
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika/chipotle powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream/light cream/yogurt/milk
- Soak the almonds and cashews in 1/2 cup of water for 4-5 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp butter. Once the butter melts, add the sliced onions. Saute on high flame till the onions are caramalized and golden brown. Take 2 tsp of cooked onion from this and set aside for garnishing.
- Toss in the minced ginger, garlic, and chopped green chilis and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the carrots and potato chunks. Add salt to taste and mix. Simmer and cook on medium flame until the carrots and potatoes are tender and cooked. Remove from flame and let cool down a little.
- In a food processor, put the cooked carrots, potato, soaked almonds, and cashews. Add 1/2 cup water and blend to form a smooth puree.
- In a pot, add 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth/water and bring to boil.
- Add in the curried carrot puree and mix well. To this, add in pepper and chipotle/paprika to taste. Bring to boil.
- Add in sour cream/yogurt and stir. Remove from flame. Curried carrot shorba is ready!
Image and curried carrot soup recipe reprinted with permission from www.divinespicebox.com and www.healthyaperture.com