Sweet potatoes are packed with Vitamin A to help your eggs mature properly, and will help support a pregnancy if you do conceive this cycle.
Sweet potato soup (and cheese crouton) recipe that may help conceive
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 thin slices whole grain bread
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Place half of potato cubes in bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon oil, place on baking sheet; repeat with remaining potatoes on a separate baking sheet. (Roasting in separate trays keeps air circulating so potatoes roast faster.) Roast in preheated 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until translucent. Stir in red pepper. Add broth to pan and roasted sweet potatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in salt and thyme.
- Carefully blend soup until smooth with immersion blender (or use a regular blender pureeing half soup at a time.)
- To make sandwiches, place 3 slices of bread on baking sheet, top with cheese and then remaining slices of bread. Toast in toaster oven (or regular oven) at 400-degrees until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes (watch carefully!) Cut into bite-sized croutons.
- Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; top with Grilled Cheese Croutons.
Image and sweet potato soup recipe reprinted with permission from www.teaspooncomm.com and www.healthyaperture.com