As far as delicious desserts go, it doesn’t get much healthier than this Crème brulee – it’s a good idea to start loading up on calcium before you conceive so that you have plenty of reserves to help your baby’s bone growth.
Crème brulee that your body will love
- 2 pounds acorn squash
- 2/3 cup soy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 culinary torch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, convection mode.
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds, brush cuts with oil, place cut side face down and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and allow to cool to the touch. Scoop out squash and transfer to a high speed blender. Add the soy cream and vanilla. Puree until creamy.
- Meanwhile, have a kettle of hot water ready and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Spoon the squash mixture into ramekins. Place the ramekins onto a baking dish with high sides (i.e. – brownie pan). To prevent the ramekins from sliding, you can put a tea towel into the pan first. Then pour hot water into the pan, halfway up the ramekin’s side, to create a water bath. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle sugar on top. Hold torch 2 to 3 inches away from the dish. Use the tip of the flame (hottest heat) to caramelize the sugar. Place in refrigerator and serve later with berries.
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from www.buddhasmenu.com and www.healthyaperture.com