Many reports indicate that Mediterranean diets can help boost fertility in women, so this Mediterranean pasta recipe is sure to help your road to conception.
Mediterranean pasta recipe: step by step
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces whole wheat pasta, like spaghetti or angel hair
- 3 cloves garlic, large
- 1/3 cup white table wine, chicken broth or 2 tablespoons lemon juice may be substituted
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, marinated
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- Lemon zest, for serving
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- In a large skillet (preferably not non-stick), add the butter and olive oil over medium heat. When melted, add the sliced mushrooms and stir. Let the mushrooms cook, undisturbed until they start to slightly brown and release their juices. This will take 5-8 minutes.
- Add a small handful of salt to the pasta water once it boils, and then add the spaghetti. Stir.
- Next, add the garlic to the mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute. Add the white wine and scrap the bottom of the pan. Let the wine reduce for about a minute. (If you’re substituting the wine for broth or lemon juice, do not reduce).
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the lemon zest.
- Add the al dente pasta to the skillet and stir very well to coat with the sauce. Add a ladle of pasta water if you think it needs it. (You could also add a bit of oil from the marinated artichoke hearts or sundried tomatoes).
- Divide between two plates and serve, topped with lemon zest.
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from www.foodfanatic.com and www.healthyaperture.com