If you need help breastfeeding, you may attend breastfeeding classes or see a lactation consultant. Lactation consultants are specially trained to evaluate your baby’s needs, perform necessary corrective interventions, give you advice, and correct for any special circumstances or common problems that they see.
Comprehensive lactation support and counseling are covered as a preventive service during pregnancy for eligible members and the postpartum period. This means that you’ll pay nothing to receive this support from an in-network provider.
Comprehensive lactation support and counseling is covered in an inpatient hospital admission, as home visits, or as office visits:
- Received during an inpatient maternity stay as part of an inpatient admission,
- For mandated postpartum home care visits (Mother’s Option Visits),
- For complications during the breastfeeding term,
- At a mother’s postpartum visit and well-child visits (OB offices/pediatrician offices)
- By making your own appointment with a participating provider for eligible members.
You can find a list of in-network lactation consultants by using the Find a Doctor tool. You can book an appointment directly with a participating provider.
You can learn more about your breastfeeding support benefits by calling Customer Service at the number listed on the back of your medical ID card, or by tapping the button below to visit BlueLink’s website.