Those who are trying to conceive or are already pregnant while also struggling with substance abuse issues have a unique set of needs and require specialized care to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Drugs and alcohol also directly affect fetal development, so it’s important to seek help as soon as you are able.
For those who are trying to conceive, drugs and alcohol can have negative effects on their menstrual cycle, egg quality, ovarian weight, and hormonal concentration; all of which can make it harder to conceive.
During pregnancy, a pregnant person and their developing baby share a bloodstream, meaning that substances are shared between the pregnant person and the developing baby. Repeated exposure to drugs and alcohol can lead to an elevated risk for various forms of stunted development, stillbirth, and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs).
If you’re enrolled in the Cigna medical plan, you’ll receive coverage for different substance abuse-related services and therapies. You can visit Cigna’s website to learn more.
Assistance for substance abuse issues is also available from your Employee Assistance Program (EAP), LifeWorks.
LifeWorks is a confidential employee assistance program (EAP) and an innovative well-being solution available 24/7. The Lifeworks EAP allows you to:
- Connect with professionally trained advisors are available to help with family problems, marital concerns, financial and legal matters, stress, depression, and other issues affecting your personal or work life
- Speak with a counselor if you have a problem that’s bigger than you, or connect with other specialists such as financial and legal professionals
- Make your money go further with exclusive offers and discounts
- Achieve your fitness goals with unlimited fitness journeys and chat with fitness coaches
- Access a wealth of online resources and information to support your mental, physical, social, and financial wellbeing
- Invite family members to access certain features in LifeWorks so they can find confidential help and advice on hundreds of topics
LifeWorks consultants are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-844-880-9142. To access LifeWorks online, go to login.lifeworks.com and choose Sign Up to enter your information and have a unique registration link sent to your work email address. Enrollment is not required to participate.
You can also access telehealth services around substance abuse through MDLIVE, Talkspace, Ginger and Cigna’s Behavioral Network. For more information on these services, explore the article outlining your mental health support under the Foundation.