Panko bread crumbs and shredded coconut make the perfect crispy coating to these baked chicken tenders, which will likely become a staple in your meal rotation. They deliver the satisfaction and flavor of fried chicken tenders, but without the heaviness and deep-frying.
Makes 6 servings / Prep time: 15 minutes / Total time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ pounds chicken breast tenders
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 425℉.
- Fill a wide, shallow bowl with the flour.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and mustard.
- Fill a third shallow bowl with the bread crumbs, coconut, pepper, and salt.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour until each piece has a light, even coating.
- Dip the floured chicken into the egg mixture, shaking off the excess, and then dip into the bread crumb mixture, lightly pressing the chicken into the crumbs to coat evenly.
- Spray each side of the tenders with cooking spray.
- Place the tenders on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Bake the chicken until browned and crispy and cooked to an internal temperature of 165℉, about 15 minutes.
- Stir together the yogurt, honey, mustard, and rosemary until smooth and serve as a dipping sauce.
Per serving: 263 calories, 25 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 8.5 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 360 mg sodium, 405 mg potassium (% DV), 30 mg calcium (3% DV), 41 mg magnesium (0% DV), 0.263 mcg B12 (0% DV), 0.766 mg B6 (0% DV), 1.3 mg iron (7% DV)
About the book:
Healthy, Happy Pregnancy Cookbook is the perfect guide for pregnant women. Full of humor, heart, and wisdom, it promotes clean eating and the idea that using food as medicine is the best remedy for dealing with the symptoms that occur most during pregnancy—such as swollen ankles, bloating, and more.
From HEALTHY, HAPPY PREGNANCY COOKBOOK. Copyright © 2016 by Stephanie Clarke and Willow Jarosh. Reprinted with permission of Atria Books, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.