Take 20 minutes to make this recipe over the weekend, and you’ll have four tasty, nutrient-packed lunches or dinners ready when you need ’em. This dish gets even better after it’s been in the fridge overnight, and will satisfy that craving for takeout!
Makes 4 servings / Prep time: 10 minutes / Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 ounces soba (buckwheat) noodles or whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grated or julienned carrots
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon warm water, or more as needed
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, combine all the ingredients for the peanut sauce in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Drain the noddles, saving some of the pasta cooking water to thin out the sauce, if desired.
- Transfer the noodles to a large bowl, and toss with the oil, edamame, bell pepper, and carrots.
- Pour the peanut sauce over the ingredients in the bowl and toss until well combined. Top with the scallions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
Per serving: 345 calories, 17 g protein, 40 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 15 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 299 mg sodium, 659 mg potassium (19% DV), 90 mg calcium (9% DV), 130 mg magnesium (33% DV), 0 mcg B12 (0% DV), 0.343 mg B6 (17% DV), 4.2 mg iron (23% DV)
About the book:
Healthy, Happy Pregnancy Cookbook is the perfect guide for pregnant women. Full of humor, heart, and wisdom, it promotes clean eating and the idea that using food as medicine is the best remedy for dealing with the symptoms that occur most during pregnancy—such as swollen ankles, bloating, and more.
From HEALTHY, HAPPY PREGNANCY COOKBOOK. Copyright © 2016 by Stephanie Clarke and Willow Jarosh. Reprinted with permission of Atria Books, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.