These fritters are a perfect snack to help meet your veggie servings for the day when you just don’t have the time or energy to cook. Pop one or two out of the freezer, microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, and you’ve got a delicious veggie side or snack.
Makes 6 servings (1 fritter each) / Prep time: 15 minutes / Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Grate the zucchini into a medium bowl, using a food processor or a box grater. Sprinkle salt on the zucchini, gently toss to coat, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain the zucchini completely by placing it on a clean dish towel or piece of cheesecloth and squeezing the water out.
- Return the zucchini to the bowl and combine with the flour, eggs, scallions, Parmesan, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- Mix with your hands until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Form the mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Working in batches of 3 or 4 at a time depending on the size of your skillet, cook the fritters until nicely browned and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, pressing down with a spatula after flipping once.
- Let the fritters cool to room temperature, then freeze in a large freezer bag or in a container with wax paper between each layer.
Per serving (1 fritter): 90 calories, 5 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 1.5 g total sugar, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 150 mg sodium, 243 mg potassium (7% DV), 45 mg calcium (5% DV), 25 mg magnesium (6% DV), 0.253 mcg B12 (4% DV), 0.199 mg B6 (10% DV), 0.2 mg iron (1% DV)
About the book:
Healthy, Happy Pregnancy Cookbook is the perfect guide for pregnant women. Full of humor, heart, and wisdom, it promotes clean eating and the idea that using food as medicine is the best remedy for dealing with the symptoms that occur most during pregnancy—such as swollen ankles, bloating, and more.
From HEALTHY, HAPPY PREGNANCY COOKBOOK. Copyright © 2016 by Stephanie Clarke and Willow Jarosh. Reprinted with permission of Atria Books, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.