If you think a BLT can’t get any better, prepare to be pleasantly surprised — mainly because avocado and hummus make EVERYTHING better. Because this lunch takes 5 minutes to prepare, you might even have spare time to catch a catnap, or finally wash your hair. And because this sandwich packs in major amounts of fiber, it will keep you satisfied long after you’ve cleaned your plate.
Makes 2 sandwiches / Prep time: 5 minutes / Total time: 5 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked
- 2 large leaves romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and toast the bread in the skillet over medium-high heat until it’s golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Spread two slices of the toast each with 1 tablespoon hummus and two slices of the toast each with ½ of the avocado.
- Cut the bacon slices in half and put two halves, side by side, on each slice of avocado toast, followed by 1 leaf of lettuce and 2 slices of tomato.
- Top the slices of toast with hummus.
Per serving: 410 calories, 6 g protein, 49 g carbohydrates, 12 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 21 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 438 mg sodium, 410 mg potassium (12% DV), 106 mg calcium (11% DV), 26 mg magnesium (7% DV), 0.14 mcg B12 (2% DV), 0.274 mg B6 (14% DV), 3 mg iron (17% DV)
About the book:
Healthy, Happy Pregnancy Cookbook is the perfect guide for pregnant women. Full of humor, heart, and wisdom, it promotes clean eating and the idea that using food as medicine is the best remedy for dealing with the symptoms that occur most during pregnancy—such as swollen ankles, bloating, and more.
From HEALTHY, HAPPY PREGNANCY COOKBOOK. Copyright © 2016 by Stephanie Clarke and Willow Jarosh. Reprinted with permission of Atria Books, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.