- 2 large/3 medium orange carrots – cut into large chunks
- 1 medium potato – cut into large chunks
- 1 medium sized onion – thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups vegetable broth/water
- 1 inch ginger (optional) – minced
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 medium green chilli -thinly sliced
- 10-15 whole Almonds
- 10-15 whole Cashews
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika/ chipotle powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream/ light cream/ yoghurt/ milk
There are two ways of preparing this soup:
- Soak the almonds and cashews in 1/2 cup of water for 4-5 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp butter. Once the butter melts, to this add the sliced onions. Saute on high flame till the onions are caramelized and golden brown. Take 2 tsp of cooked onion from this and keep aside for garnishing.
- Toss in the minced ginger, garlic and chopped green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the carrots and potato chunks. Add salt to taste and mix. Simmer and cook on medium flame till the carrots and potatoes are tender and cooked. Remove from flame and let it cool down a little.
- In a food processor, put the cooked carrots, potato, soaked almonds and cashews. Add 1/2 cup water and blend to form a smooth puree.
- Now take a pot. Add 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth/water and bring to boil.
- Add in the curried carrot puree and mix well. To this, add in pepper and chipotle/paprika to taste. Bring to boil.
- Add in sour cream/yoghurt and stir in the shorba. Remove from flame. Curried carrot shorba is ready.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in 2 cups of water . Now, add in chopped carrots, potato, soaked almonds and cashews. Also add in the garlic, ginger and green chillies.
- Cook till 2 whistles and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from flame and let the cooker cool down.
- Now take a food processor and blend the cooked vegetables and nuts into a smooth puree.
- Take a saucepan and to this add in the puree. Add salt to taste and pepper and paprika. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, add in the olive oil and butter and heat till the butter melts.
- To this, add in the sliced onions and saute on high flame till the onions are caramelized and golden brown. Take 2 tsp of cooked onion from this and keep aside for garnishing.
- Add the rest of the onions in the soup and mix well.
- To the shorba, add in the sour cream and stir in. Remove from flame. Curried carrot shorba is ready.
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from www.divinespicebox.com and www.healthyaperture.com