- 1 delicata squash
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 6-7 mushrooms diced (I used button mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (you can chop whole almonds as well)
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast the squash face down for about 20-30 minutes. You can tell it’s done if you can easily push a fork through the flesh.
- In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil.
- After it’s boiling, turn down, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed. Usually about 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onions, garlic and oil until they soften.
- Then add the cooked quinoa, almonds and balsamic and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Set aside and keep covered.
- Once the squash is done, spoon the mushroom/quinoa mixture into the squash and serve immediately.
Image and recipe reprinted with permission from www.mywholefoodlife.com and www.healthyaperture.com