Using machine learning to detect risk for perinatal mental health conditions
Posts to an anonymous digital health platform may help assess depression risk among pregnant women
Published: American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Authors: Danielle Bradley, Erin Landau, Adam Wolfberg, Alex Baron
Leveraging the millions of questions and comments posted to Ovia Health’s Community, our research team used machine learning to identify trends in depression risk based on commonly used terms and phrases. The results of which were peer-reviewed and presented at the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) conference.
Understanding personal risk for developing depression during or after pregnancy is an important first step in accessing resources to reduce risk.
This research demonstrates the important role support networks play in the likelihood of a mother developing perinatal depression. Ovia Health ensures all of our members receive resources and support when they present as at-risk for perinatal or postpartum depression.
About Ovia Health
Ovia Health has helped over 14 million women and families. We offer a comprehensive maternity and family benefits solution from preconception and pregnancy through return-to-work and parenthood.
- Engages women early, and sustains long term daily participation
- Actively encourages partners to participate in the process
- Includes predictive coaching and mobile alerts for identified health issues
- Supports return-to-work with a proven approach
- Boosts utilization across an employer’s benefit ecosystem
- Drives behavior change and reduces maternity costs